Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent


Here it is the first day of Lent.  The next thing said would naturally be, "So what did you give up?"  My husband is giving up ice cream.  Trust me, that is like most of us giving up water for 40 days.  Me?  I still can't decide.  (Doesn't that sound silly?)

Growing up we never really practiced Lent, the 40 days leading up to Easter.  I do know that now that I have children of my own, I would like to emphasize it more.  For this time that was a struggle for our savior is something I want my children to feel.  But how?  As ridiculous as that may sound.  Is it supposed to be this difficult just in the decision process?  Of course I have found some fun and meaningful ways for me to teach my girls what this season leading up to Easter is about (like so far my favorite is The Way of Light Wreath).  It may sound kind of shallow to say, but I'm not sure what I could give up to sacrifice to draw closer to Him while preparing for the death and resurrection.  I just don't know what could help me relate to Christs suffering in that way.  And if I can't figure this out, then how am I supposed to teach two little ones!

So, rather than give something up to relate in the suffering, this year for Lent I am going to study Devotions for Lent (Holy Bible: Mosaic).  Praying God will use this time to "prepare our hearts for a deeper appreciation of mercy, the need of the Cross, and miracle of Easter."

What are you doing for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment